4th Oxford Scout Group History
The 4th Oxford Scout Group
has a long history, being first formed in March of 1908 just a few short months after the first Scout camp at Brownsea Island in the summer of 1907.
In 2008 the 4th Oxford Group celebrated its centenary. The Group was formed in March 1908, only a few months after the very first Scout camp on Brownsea Island. Scout registration records show that the group was officially registered on the 8th December 1908, and was then based in Beef Lane, St Ebbes in Oxford.
At the time of registration the group had one Warranted officer (H.M. Collins) and thirty-five active scouts!
On 9th May 1921 a ‘Wolf Cub Pack’ was officially registered for the 4th Oxford Group with Reginald Hill as cubmaster. At that time the Cubs were meeting at The Infants School in Whitehouse Road, Oxford, and the group had eighteen registered cubs.
By 1928 the group had four warranted officers and another three in training with 45 scouts and 23 cubs.
We have a large archive of photographs, cine film and records covering more than one hundred years of scouting in Oxford. We plan to digitise as much of this content as possible and to make it available online in the coming years.